I’ll be at SXSW starting tomorrow and I’m excited for several reasons. Firstly, there are so many great presenters doing interesting presentations plus you get to physically meet a lot of people you only know through Twitter and Facebook. Yet equally important is a collision of thinking and conversations that are essential for new ideas to emerge.
These collisions take many forms. There are fresh intersections between storytelling and social technology. New brain-childs being born of a marriage between thought leadership and technical innovation. And finally cross-pollination between marketing strategies and executions unique to either the music, interactive or film industries.
Sometimes these exchanges are formal but more often they are random. This is instructive because it mirrors the new dynamics at play across the social media landscape. In fact, the greatest challenge is to perpetuate this dynamic once SXSW is over.
This state of constant flux, this persistent feeling of being off-balance, this tireless drive to make new connections is what the social business marketplace now demands of all of us. Life is becoming a series of screen-grabs, soundbites and touch points that propel conversations and thinking in new directions at an ever greater speed. Demanding, to be sure, but equally exciting.
I’m excited to be speaking about my new book We First as part of the Book Reading program and here are some of the events (and links to the schedule) that I’m looking forward to seeing at this year’s SXSW Interactive.
- PepsiCo Innovation Station
- Gamechanging: Turn your app into a cooperative game
- Your Business + Social Mission = Happiness + Ka-Ching
- Tales of the Past Future: Web Pioneers Remember
- Ignite SXSW – 2021 Vision of the Future
- Brave New World: Debating Brands’ Role as Publishers
- Diversity in the Digital Age
- The Future of Nonprofits : Thrive and Innovate in the Digital Age
- Social Media Mythbusters
- What We Can Learn from Small Town Entrepreneurs
- Let’s Hook Up: Brands, Celebs and Non-Profits
- Are Your Customers a Crowd or a Community
- Brand Journalism: The Rise of Non-Fiction Advertising
- 140 Conference: Birth of the #BackChannel
- America’s Future in Innovation
- Brian Solis
- Nonprofits and Free Agents In A Networked World
- You Can Impact Charity Without Being Rich
What other events do you recommend? If you’ve been before, how would you describe your SXSW experience?